Resistance bands are elastic bands made out of latex and are used for all kind of low-impact exercise routines. You will most likely have seen them before in the gym, etc. They come in different colours depending on the resistance so you can tailor your exercises depending on the area you want to work on or on your level of fitness. Here there are some of the benefits of using resistance bands as part of your workout:
– Resistance bands are good to add some variety and challenge to your routine so your muscles don’t get too used to always doing the same exercises. You can use them as you would do with regular weight or you can do more general body exercises such us adding them to certain yoga movements.
– As there are different tension levels you can tailor exercises to your needs from beginner’s level up to an advanced level.
– They are really cheap and last for a long time. You only need to replace them if they get damaged, lose the elasticity/tension or you are ready for the next resistance/level.
– They don’t take up much space, which is especially handy if you have to travel a lot and you want to keep with your exercise routine.
– They are safer than regular weights if you are training alone. To avoid an accident with weights you can either drop them but may end up damaging your foot or the floor or you can try to compensate with other muscles increasing the chance of injury. You won’t have that problem with the resistance bands, if it becomes too hard, you can just let them go!
We can provide the right resistance band for you and show you how to use it for specific exercises we would recommend after your treatment in the clinic!
By Raul our Physiotherapist.
You can purchase a resistance band through our website store if you would like to try one out – www.bodyworksedinburgh.com/store
You can also book a Sports Rehabilitation session if you would like to learn a full repertoire of exercises.