Pregnancy is an exciting journey for a woman as she prepares to welcome her new baby, but during pregnancy your body can be put under strain as the baby begins to develop and grow, where joints, ligaments and organs can be put under pressure, causing discomfort and pain and in some cases stress as the mother prepares for the new arrival. Pregnancy massage can help alleviate these problems and reduce stress levels.
What are the Benefits?
Research shows that pregnancy massage can benefit your unborn baby as ‘feel good’ endorphin’s are released by the mother during the massage which are then passed on to the baby. It is a wonderful, soothing treatment for both mother and baby.
Receiving regular massages whilst pregnant can help the mother become more aware of her body during pregnancy, helping to increase relaxation during the first stage of labour, which can often result in shorter and easier births. Furthermore pregnancy massage can help to increase the rate of breast feeding success due to the increased prolactin and mammary development.
Other benefits of Pregnancy Massage Edinburgh include:
- Stimulation of circulation- helping to deliver essential nutrients and fluid to the vital organs and placenta, which will feed and help the development of the unborn baby
- Lymphatic Drainage – helping to eliminate toxins from the cells and blood and also reducing oedema (swelling)
- Helps with constipation
- Releases muscular tension – helping to relieve tension and discomfort in the upper back, shoulders, lower back and hips, easing sciatica, prolapsed discs and Symphysis Pubis Disfunction (SPD) often caused by postural changes
- Releases nerve compression caused by muscular tension and oedema
- Reduces risk of varicose veins developing
- Aids the respiratory system – helping to aid breathing as pressure on the intercostal and pectoral muscles is relieved during pregnancy and birth
- Promotes deep relaxation and peaceful sleep
- Reduces emotional stress – helping to create a sense of well-being
- Balances blood pressure levels
- Encourages the release of oxytocin- a pain reducing hormone which can provide relief of pain during labour and birth
What is Involved?
The treatment is carried out by a fully qualified pregnancy massage therapist and can be tailored to your needs. Our Pregnancy Massage Edinburgh Therapist can offer you a relaxing routine that is similar to a Swedish Full Body Massage in the sense that it will target the same body parts (arms, back, legs etc.) with the addition of the tummy. However, if you would prefer not to have your tummy massaged, just let the therapist know and she will leave this out of the treatment.
If you have specific problem areas that are giving you pain, perhaps your lower back, then the treatment can also be tailored to focus more on these areas to relieve the muscular tension. The most important thing for us is that the treatment is tailored to what you need and your therapist will discuss this with you during the consultation.
For most of the massage you will be in a side-lying position using pillows at your neck, tummy and knees for your comfort. Special draping techniques are used while you are in this position to maintain modesty and ensure you are always covered and warm.
You are required to get written consent from your healthcare professional (GP or Midwife) to receive this treatment. Unfortunately it is not possible to receive massage in the first trimester at Bodyworks.
If you have any questions about pregnancy massage or about tailoring the treatment to your needs please do not hesitate to give us a call on 0131 241 1833 or email email@example.com